CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 22, 2010

T.V. or No T.V.

As of now, and the past two months, I have not been going to school or working. Yes, my days are spent in the apartment doing what I do best--television watching. In the last two months I have managed to memorize show times from 10am to 8pm, watch all of the seasons of Friends, become obsessed with Big Cat Diary, and learn all the laws in Miami, Philadelphia, and Phoenix of animal cruelty. I have become an expert in the daytime shows.

While I was sick this was of course expected but since late February I have been feeling MUCH better and I knew there needed to be a change. So I started to cut my hours down of television watching to just about 4 (two in the morning and two at night) and it is amazing how much you can get done! Along with just myself cutting down my hours me and Chewy also decided to try something new as well....no television, video games, or media stuff on Sundays!

This all came about one Sunday Morning when I told Chewy that growing up in my family the rule was no t.v. on Sunday before church, after church it was fair game. For some reason he did not get this and said "We either get to watch television all day Sunday or not all, your rule doesn't make any sense." "okay", I said "Then we won't watch any t.v. on Sunday, or video games, or Internet t.v." hahaha I think he was a little surprised about that, but we tried it. Our first Sunday it was a little hard, but since it has actually been quite nice. We have begun doing all the important things we have been neglecting lately. I highly recommend that you try it at least once and see if you like it. If you are wondering about what to do, don't worry I have plenty of ideas....starting with...

1. Scripture Study- alone and together. Especially with cutting down my t.v. hours during the week

2. Prayers- Seriously, it takes 2 minutes yet we had to cut out the boob tube just to get it done

3. Journal writing- I managed to find all my old journals (5 in all) starting from when I was 7 all the way up until now. I never knew that I kept so many. Really if you need something to do go find your old journals and read them-- so entertaining.

4.Conference Talks- If you have the Ensign from last November it should have all the conference talks from last general conference. Every morning I pick one and read it. This is probably one of my favorites!

5.. Cleaning- Mostly this is for me during the week. I had no excuse for not cleaning, our apartment is small and it really takes about 20 min.

6. Book Reading- Besides reading church stuff Chewy gets tons more homework done and I get to read more books too. Lately I have been reading the book my Dad wrote "Onward Christian Road Warrior", and it is great! Back when he wrote it I didn't really understand it and didn't know how to apply it to my life, but now it is a great read, a great manual for someone to add to their life. Go look it up!

7.. Games- Now this is something me and Chewy do together a lot. Our favorite game thus far is "Guess What I'm Thinking", and yes that is exactly right; you guess what the other person is thinking. Usually we play with movies, one person thinks of a movie and the other person has to guess what movie they are thinking of. This can be played with songs (we usually hum the song) or animals, anything really. One game we really enjoy is "How Well Do You Know Me?". We each ask the other questions about ourselves like; "What was my favorite television show growing up?" or "How many of my pets died?" stuff like that.

I think that I will go with the no television. Besides it just being a distraction and mostly stupid shows anyways we both agreed that it gave us more time together and you just get more done. Of course there are some 8:00pm shows we will probably continue to watch (who am I kidding of course we will) but for the majority it is out. If you try this and think of anything else fun to do let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

8. Call Mallory back.

Jimmy and I don't watch TV on Sundays and it is wonderful. With him being so busy, we love Sundays to just be together, and take a long nap :) Of course we have our weeknight show like the Bachelor and American Idol. And isn't reading old journals hilarious? My favorite.

Unknown said...

cory and i used to be really good at the no tv thing cause we both grew up in houses where we weren't allowed to watch on sundays, but during the past year we have become lazy about it and now you have given me the boost to start it back up again! i know exactly how that was when i was prego and watching tons of tv. it almost becomes addicting! so i have to cut back myself and do more productive things instead. love all your ideas, especially the conference talk one. cory and i did this during the summer each morning and loved it! you're awesome katie, i love you! and after mallory's #8...you can make #9 call Lindsay!! :)
ps. i am soooo happy your are feeling better!